Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Karate... Anyone?

I don't think Karate is only meant for people of specific gender or age groups. In fact, I think Karate is a great form of exercise for everybody and it is also something which everyone should think of taking up now that we are living in an unsafe world.

I took up karate for a short while 2 years ago. But I also got involved with a singing group plus singing classes. Had to give it up. But now I am seriously thinking about it again. Have still been keeping contact with my Sensei these few years. Must have been the Law of Attraction in play. Just as I was thinking about him, an email from him arrived. He wrote...

For over two thousand years East have always looked towards martial arts as the perfect way to increase fitness, flexibility, stamina and total well being. It is constantly heard that Karate is a great way to relieve stress and to stay in shape, not forgetting the benefit of defending oneself. Together with it, you have that feeling of confidence that comes from knowing that you can defend yourself and your family anytime, anywhere. Now, see for yourself what Martial Arts can do for you!

In the modern world of stress and hassle, Shito-Ryu Karate-Do CAN HELP YOU.
Through our unique training method, we will show you how to relieve tension and stress allowing you to feel great and confident. We attain this through a unique blend of self-defense training, stretching, and a total body workout. Your self-defense skill will be second to none, as Shito-Ryu Karate-Do provides an excellent
format for learning practical self-defense without much ado.

With the rise of crime and violent assaults upon the fairer sex, it pays for today's women to have first hand self-defense knowledge in order to protect themselves in whatever situation they may find themselves in. Shito-Ryu Karate-Do offers a quick and comprehensive self-defense program so that one can learn the basics quickly, easily and without much hassle. Aside from feeling confident that comes from the knowledge that you can protect yourself anytime, martial arts is also a fun and exciting way to stay in shape. The stretching and fitness exercises are an excellent way to lose weight, tone your body, and feeling great, not to mention to reduce
tension and stress as well.

The Malaysian Association of Shito-Ryu Karate-Do (MASK) is the pioneer Karate-Do in the Malaysia ever since 1969. MASK adopts an open-minded attitude and approach in its efforts to promote Karate-Do in every sector of today's life.

New Class Commencing:-


Date : 1st October 2007 (Every Monday)
Time : 8.00 p.m. – 9.30 p.m.
Venue : Renshinkan Dojo
No 19-3, Third Floor,
Jalan Scott, Off Jalan Tun Sambanthan
Brickfields, KUALA LUMPUR (map attached)
Fee : RM50.00 per month

Instructor : Tan See Toh
012-2882913

Dojo Location :

6 comments:

River of Karma said...

if you're serious about martial arts, you're better off not taking karate. look into lock-throw modalities - Aikido, or its more aggressive bigger brother, Judo. Aikido I no is more passive, but no less lethal.

Or if kick-punch styles are your thing, look at wushu, or the mother of all martial arts, Kalari Payat (behind NST) that combines kick-punch with lock-throw. the latter is deadly in its own right.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your advice river of karma. I did take Aikido before I switched over to Karate. Hurt my shoulder quite badly (bad landing). Was laid off for a month and a bit more :(. What are your thots on Kendo?

Joyce Wong said...

I will have problem taking up karate again. I can even bend over and touch my toes to do the warm up exercise. I can imagine the little kid asking us to do warm up exercise and I will hear my bones cracking.

Unknown said...

Haha..yeah..i remember those little kiddos..where do they get their energy from??

River of Karma said...

ahh...yes, the landing. that will hurt in the early stages, as will your elbow n many other parts of your body.

As for landing badly, dats where IMO the sensei comes in. A good one is observant. I wont judge wat happened to you (sounds painful tho) but keep an open mind. be careful too. The Bangsar Sports Complex Sensei is good I heard.

about kendo, from casual observation seems more "how to use sword" type. i havent seen any puch-kick/lock-throw n therefore cannot vouch for anything.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your views. I took aikido at YMCA Brickfields. I noticed there were lots of actions but no words. The instructors do not speak, only demonstrated. Is that how Aikido shld be? I am not really one for kicking and punching. That was why Aikido was my first choice.

I will check out the Bangsar Sports Complex. Thanks so much :)