Thursday, November 1, 2007

Kolam





Whenever I come across a Kolam design at any public place in Kuala Lumpur, I know that Deepavali is just around the corner. Kolam is the art of sandpainting using rice powder and this is normally done in homes of Hindus. A Kolam is a painted prayer, which consists of lines drawn in loops. I suppose this is equivalent to the Mandala paintings to the Tibetans.

To read more about Kolams, click here.



I chanced upon this work-in-progress at Ikano Power Station recently. I was totally fascinated as I caught them in the midst of doing 2 elaborate peacocks and since I was not there at the start, I didn’t realize that they had already made some markings on the floor before they put on the colored rice. I honestly thought that they did it free handed.



Stayed for as long as I could but since it was a rather detailed piece, they will need a fair bit of time to complete it. I was not able to wait for them to finish their piece. Will probably drop by Ikano again the next few days to check on the final result of the masterpiece.

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

2 comments:

Dc said...

kolams r beautiful, too bad some ppl let their kids spoil those at malls :(

Unknown said...

yeah lor.. such a shame to spoil beautiful works of art.. :(