Saturday, November 1, 2008

10 Promises To My Dog


There is a Japanese movie in town, entitled "10 Promises To My Dog". I went to see it yeseterday and even before I watched it, I already expected it to be one of those "Kleenex required" movies. But I didn't realize that it would be a "whole box of Kleenex required" type of movie. I have this love-hate relationship with movies of this genre. I love them because they talk about real life and the characters (especially the non-human ones) are normally so cute that you just want to hug them to bits type. But I hate it when they make my eyes and nose leak.

This is the synopsis of the movie taken from MovieExclusive.com.

Akari is a 14-year-old schoolgirl living in Japan's northern island of Hokkaido. One day, a puppy wanders into her yard, looking lost and frightened. She is a Golden Retriever with white paw markings. Akari names her Socks. Akari's mother consents to her keeping the dog but only after she agrees to keep 10 Promises to Socks . Akari enthusiastically assents and the two begin their journey of growing up together. Akari finds herself having to overcome many changes and challenges: the tragedy of her mother's death, father's sudden resignation, coming-of-age, first romantic feelings, career ambitions and her independence. But at every step, Socks is there to provide unquestioning love and support.


This film was inspired by the poem "Ten Commandments to Dog Ownership" by an anonymous author. The poem reads like this.

    I

My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years.
Any separation from you will be painful for me.
Remember that before you aquire me.

    II

Give me time to understand what you want from me.

    III

Place your trust in me.
Remember that before you aquire me.

    IV

Don't be angry at me for long and don't lock me up as punishment.
You have your work, your friends, and your entertainment.
I ONLY HAVE YOU!

    V

Talk to me sometimes.
Even if I don't understand your words.
I understand your voice when it is speaking to me.
Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget.

    VI

Remember before you hit me that I have teeth than can easily crush the bones in your hand,
but I choose NOT TO BITE YOU.

    VII

Before you scold me for being uncooperative,
obstinate, or lazy,
ask yourself if something might be bothering me.
Perhaps I don't understand what you ask of me or perhaps I am not feeling well,
not getting the right food,
been out in the sun too long,
or my heart is getting old and weak.

    VIII

Take care of me when I get old,
you too will grow old.

    IX

Go with me on difficult journeys.
Never say "I can't bear to watch" or "let it happen in my absence".
EVERYTHING IS EASIER IF YOU ARE THERE.

    X

REMEMBER I LOVE YOU!

In the story "10 promises", they reworded some of the commandments above but basically the meaning is all there. Gosh, even as I read the poem again, my eyes are misting up again.

I truly recommend this movie to all pet owners (especially doggie owners like JW of My Random Thoughts, Jean (boss to Jake), Mumsey (my Daiso friend), Fishman of Fishdiary Resurrection, che-cheh, Angie of Chasing Tails) and all the rest of you. If you already love your doggies, after watching this movie, your doggies will become your world and you will want to throw out the spouse and the kids.



Technorati Tags:, , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

6 comments:

Fishman said...

Yozora,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely get a copy of this!

Unknown said...

hi Fishman. don't forget your packet of Kleenex heehee.

Anonymous said...

I'll just wait for the movie to come to astro. I don't want to cry in the cinema. Sob sob...

Unknown said...

i always knew that you a smart girl che-cheh.. yeah lor.. so pai seh to be sniffling away in a cinema full of people :p

Angie Tan said...

This movie sounds good.

I remembered crying my eyes out when I watched All About My Dog. I was clutching my dog when I watched the last short movie...

My dog went 0_o... and wondered why my eyes were leaking... :P

Unknown said...

haha.. i think if you are watching at home, you'll be brawling away.. i was in the cinema.. choking it all back was a sheer torture..be careful not to clutch your doggies too tightly this time :D